Friday 7 December 2012

Weight Weenie


On the face of it, I've had a good cycling year. I've put in a reasonable number of miles, according to Strava:
YEAR-TO-DATE
Distance 2,793.0mi
Time 208hr 59m
Elev Gain 61,378ft
Rides 174
I've participated in a few XC races, cycled off road in Wales, the South Downs and the Alps, so some wonderful contrasts to flat ol’ East Anglia and I've built up a decent stable of bikes to satisfy my inner techno geek. The thing is though, I've found it rather hard work and this is manifest in a number of ways:
  • My average speed is nothing to write home about (15-16 mph average for solo road rides).
  • I struggle on steep climbs with the 34x36 bottom gear on my Whyte 146.
  • I keep getting dropped by my younger brother, who hasn't done as much cycling as me. This is the worst thing!
Now I accept that being in my mid-fifties, I should expect everything to start going downhill, but I know that this needn't be the case as many ‘grand-vet’ – 50 year-old+ competitors in XC races post times close to those in the younger age categories, so it’s not necessarily an issue of age. No, my theory is that the key element is bike weight and I am determined to reduce the heft of all my bikes significantly. There are two approaches to making a difference in this area.
The first method is to invest in lightweight componentry. Thing is, my bikes are pretty light anyway and I know that sinking a small fortune into exotic parts will make no significant difference. No the only way forward is the second option: to reduce the weight of the largest single component, the rider (me) and this is clearly an overweight component. At 5’8” tall, and weighing 83.7Kg, there is scope for some significant weight trimming and I am anticipating three benefits:
  1. Improved climbing and acceleration. I'm hoping to be able to push that 1x10 setup on the Whyte with ease, improve my race placings and stop being dropped by younger brother (important, that one)
  2. Saving money – no need for silly equipment purchases (we’ll see…)
  3. Looking better. This is a difficult one, because weight gain is an insidious thing. Mentally, I think of myself looking pretty much the same as I did as a teenager, but the physical reality was brought home to me by recent photo (when I clearly wasn't ‘sucking it in’) posted on Facebook by one of my riding buddies, Brendan (yeah, cheers old boy!). I am including it, together with the associated words of reassurance, with great sense of personal shame, to illustrate the extent of the problem. Ouch!
18 October 

Julian appears to have stuffed his bladder under his rain jacket !!
 — with Julian Greaves and Gawain Edwards at Coed y Brenin.

Well, that’s got that out of the way. Harsh but fair, I suppose (pause to wipe tear). Anyhoo, the plan is to lose 10kg, which will put me firmly in my ‘normal’ BMI zone, before the next ‘Mud, Sweat & Gears’ race in the Spring and we’ll see if that makes a difference. The weight loss programme is going to be a simple one, namely to eat less and exercise more and in order to achieve this I am following these simple principles:
  • Three meals per day, with nothing in between, unless on a long ride.
  • Drinking sensibly. Booze on only two nights of the week.
  • At least six hours of cycling per week.
There. Simple. Just so that I don’t stray from the plan, I will be publishing my progress on a weekly basis, together with any deviations.
Here goes!

My weight: 83.7kg. 10.7kg to go. My weight goal is 73kg http://withings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment